- For the blueberry sauce:
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or unsweetened frozen)
- 1 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- For the vegan shortcakes:
- 2 cups baking mix
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons melted vegetable margarine or coconut oil
- ⅓ cup soy milk or water
- For the blueberry sauce: Put the fresh or frozen blueberries in a medium saucepan and pour the granulated sugar over the blueberries.
- Mix the cornstarch and the water together in a cup, until cornstarch is dissolved. Pour the cornstarch/water mixture over the blueberries. Mix together and cook over medium heat until it comes to a simmer. Reduce the heat but keep it simmering. Stir the sauce often, and cook until it's bubbly and thickened. Once the sauce is thickened, remove from heat and set aside.
- For the vegan shortcakes: Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Put the vegetable margarine or coconut oil in a microwaveable safe bowl, cover with wax paper and cook on low until melted, set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the baking mix, sugar, melted vegetable margarine or coconut oil and the soy milk or water. Stir just until combined.
- Using a 2 oz cookie scooper, or a large tablespoon, scoop the dough onto an un-greased cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated 450 degrees F oven for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown and the top of the shortcakes are firm.
To serve: Cut the shortcakes in half, put a little vegetable margarine (optional) on the bottom half. Pour some blueberry sauce over the bottom half of the shortcake, then put the other half on top. You can also add a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Looking for more delicious vegan recipes?
Here are a few you may also love!
John & I enjoyed these just as much as Andy did! If you have vegan kids or friends, give these delicious blueberry shortcakes a try! Thanks for stopping by and see you again soon on My Sweet Mission!