Add an additional ½ teaspoon of pepper and stir until combined.
Ummm…golden brown and full of flavor!
- 3 broccoli crowns
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (separated)
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt (separated)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (separated)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- ¾ soup can of milk
- 1 slice of bread (whole wheat or white)
- Optional: 1-2 cups sauteed mushrooms
- Rinse and cut broccoli into long spears. Place the broccoli into a medium sauce pan with about an 1½" of salted (½ teaspoon) water. Cover and cook on high for about 10-12 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a knife.
- Place one tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan. Cut the chicken breasts into strips and place it in the hot pan with the olive oil. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Cook chicken over medium heat, stirring often, until golden brown. Remove the cooked chicken from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan place one tablespoon butter and one tablespoon olive oil, over medium heat. Cook onions until translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add the minced garlic cloves to the sauteed onions and cook for an additional minute. Optional: You can also saute 1-2 cups of fresh, sliced mushrooms in a separate frying pan with one tablespoon butter and one tablespoon olive oil, over medium heat, until golden brown.
- Add the cream of mushroom soup and ¾ of a can of milk and an additional ½ teaspoon of pepper, stir to combine.
- Grease a 9" x 13" pan and put the cooked broccoli on the bottom. Optional: Add the mushrooms and evenly arrange the cooked chicken on top of the broccoli. Pour the sauce over the broccoli and chicken.
- For the breadcrumbs: Place one slice of bread in a food processor and grind until fine. Sprinkle evenly over the sauce. Cover casserole with aluminum foil.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 15 minutes. Then uncover and bake an additional 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Hungry for more delicious chicken recipes?
Here are a few you may also enjoy!
I love casseroles because they taste great and they’re a whole meal in one dish, super easy and delicious! It’s even better when your husband is a good cook and makes it for you. Thanks so much for reading and hope you enjoy this tasty, savory dish! Have a great weekend and see you soon!