My Coconut Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole is sweet & savory and full of flavor, with shredded coconut, sweet potatoes and a buttery, brown sugar and pecan topping!
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes (or a (40 oz) can of sweet potatoes, drained and mashed)
- ¾ cups granulated sugar (or ⅔ cups sugar, if using canned sweet potatoes)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- ¾ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- For the topping:
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup flour
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- If using raw sweet potatoes: Rinse, peel, cut and put them in a large pot. Cover with salted water (about 1 teaspoon). Over high heat cook for approximately 20 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain and place the sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Mash the freshly cooked or canned sweet potatoes with a fork or a mixer on low.
- Add the sugar, egg, coconut, milk, vanilla extract and the salt to the mashed sweet potatoes. Blend on low speed until thoroughly blended.
- Pour into an ungreased casserole dish, similar in size to 11½" x 7½" x 2".
- For the topping: Combine the brown sugar and flour and put it evenly over the sweet potatoes. Next sprinkle the chopped pecans and then evenly pour the melted butter.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 30-35 minutes, or until brown and bubbly.
~ Leave out the egg
~ Use ⅔ cup soy milk, instead of the milk
~ Use 6 tablespoons melted vegetable margarine, instead of butter
Looking for more delicious side dishes?
Here are a few you may also love!
Tomorrow I’ll be spending Thanksgiving Day with my family! My Mom does a beautiful job with the table and the food is so good! I’ll be sure to post some pictures for you in the next couple of days! Let’s remember all that we have to be thankful for. I hope you enjoy this holiday with your family and friends and Happy Thanksgiving to each one of you!