Our family’s Savory Swedish Meatballs are full of flavor and baked in a creamy gravy. They’re so good – you just have to try ’em for yourself!
In a large bowl, mix the first nine (9) ingredients and chill it in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Then roll the mixture into small balls. In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat and brown the meatballs. Then place them in a 9″ x 13″ pan.
Put the flour and water in a container, shake to mix well and pour it into the hot skillet. Add the cream of mushroom soup, stir over low heat and cook until smooth and bubbly. Pour the gravy over the meatballs, bake them in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for one hour.
Serve over rice or mashed potatoes for a delicious meal. Or you can serve them as an appetizer like we do on Christmas Eve!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1½ cups onion, chopped
- 1½ cups unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons parsley, dried
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoons pepper
- 2 eggs, large
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil (for frying the meatballs)
- 2 tablespoons flour, unbleached or all-purpose
- 1¼ cups water
- 1 (10.75 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- In a large bowl, mix the first nine (9) ingredients, cover and refrigerator for 2 hours. Then roll the mixture into small balls.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Take small amounts of the mixture, roll into balls and brown them in the hot oil. You don't want to cook them all the way, just brown them. Then place the browned meatballs in a 9" x 13" pan.
- Put the flour and water in a container, shake to mix well. Pour the flour mixture into the hot skillet, add the cream of mushroom soup and cook over low heat until smooth and bubbly.
- Pour the gravy over the meatballs. Bake the meatballs in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for one hour.
2 hours of the cook time is actually for chilling the meatballs before browning them.
Hungry for more delicious appetizer recipes?
Here are a few family favorites you may also enjoy!