Mix the pistachio cake batter according to the directions on the box. Line muffin tins with papers and use a 2 ounce scooper for the first layer.
Mix the chocolate syrup with the remaining batter.
Using a 1 ounce scooper, place the chocolate batter on top. There’s no need to swirl the batters.
Here’s what they will look like before baking.
Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out sticky, not dry. Notice how the two batters blended and swirled together! Cool completely before decorating.
Make the frosting, which is so easy and may just be the best fudge frosting you’ve ever had!
Fill your Wilton Dessert Decorator Plus tool or a pastry bag with the frosting, then have fun swirling that frosting on top!
Then sprinkle with the chopped pistachio nuts.
Here’s what they look like inside, with the pistachio and chocolate batters…YUM!
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 1 (3.4 oz) instant pistachio pudding (small box)
- 4 eggs, large
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- ⅔ cup chocolate syrup
- ¼ cup pistachio nuts, shelled, skins removed and chopped (for the tops)
- For the fudge frosting:
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 4½ cups confectioners sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup milk
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin tin with cupcake papers.
- In a large bowl combine the first 5 ingredients and mix according to the cake box.
- Using a 2 ounce scooper place the cake batter in the muffin papers.
- Add the chocolate syrup to the remaining batter and stir until blended. Using a 1 ounce scooper place the chocolate batter on top of the pistachio batter.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out a little sticky, not dry.
- Cool 5 minutes then remove the cupcakes from tins. Cool cupcakes completely before decorating.
- For the frosting: In a large bowl, beat the butter, confectioners sugar, cocoa powder, milk and vanilla extract on low until blended and then on medium for about a minute.
- Swirl or spread frosting on cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with chopped pistachio nuts.
Hungry for more delicious Cupcake Recipes?
Here a few you may also enjoy!