Have I got an amazing fresh fruit pie for you today! With strawberries in season and Mother’s Day coming up this Sunday, I thought I would share my Fresh Strawberry Shortbread Pie with you.
A buttery shortbread crust with fresh strawberries and fluffy sweet whipped cream, makes this pie extra special!
Put the crust ingredients into a food processor and pulse until the butter is pea-sized or smaller. You can also use a pastry cutter.
Press the crust mixture into a 9″ pie pan.
Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 20 minutes, or until very light golden brown. Cool completely.
Place the sugar, water, cornstarch and gelatin in a medium saucepan. Over high heat bring to a boil. Turn off heat but keep the pan on the hot burner. While constantly stirring, cook for an additional minute to thicken mixture. Cool slightly.
Rinse and drain the strawberries on paper towels. Slice and place them in a bowl.
Combine the slightly cooled gelatin mixture with the fresh sliced strawberries. Cover and place the strawberry mixture in the fridge, to cool completely.
Pour the cooled strawberry mixture into the cooled pie crust.
Make the sweet whipped cream (see notes below). Fill your Wilton Dessert Decorator Plus and attach the star tip. Tip: Put a little whip cream in at a time and pull the plunger to pull the cream down the tube, repeat until the tube is full.
Make star or shell shapes around the outside edge first. Leave about 1 1/2″ of the strawberry filling showing, then fill in the middle of the pie with stars.
- For the Crust:
- 1 cup unbleached or all-purpose flour
- ½ cup butter, very cold and cut in cubes
- ¼ cup confectioners sugar
- For the Pie filling:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, rinsed and sliced
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 3 tablespoons strawberry gelatin
- For the Sweet Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, very cold
- 3 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the crust ingredients in a food processor and pulse for about 30 seconds, or until the butter is pea-sized or smaller. You can also use a pastry cutter to mix.
- Press evenly into a 9" pie pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 20 minutes, or until the crust is very light golden brown. Cool the crust while making the filling.
- Place the sugar, water, corn starch and gelatin in a sauce pan over high heat. Stirring constantly with a whisk bring to a boil. Turn off the heat, but leave the pan on the hot burner, and cook for an additional minute to thicken. Remove from heat and allow the filling to cool slightly on the counter.
- Rinse and drain the strawberries. Slice and put them in a medium bowl. Combine the slightly cooled gelatin mixture with the fresh strawberries. Put the mixture in the fridge (covered) while making the sweet whipped cream.
- Place the heavy whipping cream, confectioners sugar and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl. Start the mixer on low with the whip attachment. You can also use a hand mixer. Once the cream becomes a little thickened turn the mixer up to medium and then to high. Beat until the cream is very thick, but not solid.
- Pour the cooled filling into the cooled crust.
- Put the sweet whipped cream into a Wilton Dessert Decorator Plus or a pastry bag, or spread the top of the pie with the sweet whipped cream. Using the star tip, make large stars or shells all the way around the outside of the pie. Leave about 1½" of the filling showing, then make stars or shells in the middle of the pie.
- Do not cover at this time but place the pie in the fridge for about 30 minutes to set the filling.
Hungry for more delicious pie recipes?
Here are a few you may also enjoy!