TIP: Place the sauce pan in the freezer on a hot pad for 5 – 7 minutes, to cool it down faster.
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup flour, unbleached or all-purpose
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a sauce pan whisk together the milk and the flour. Stir constantly over medium high heat until thickened, this will take a few minutes. Set aside to cool until the bottom of the pan is warm to the touch. *To cool mixture quickly see note below.
- While the thickened milk mixture is cooling, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl until light and creamy, about a minute.
- Take the cooled, thickened milk mixture and give it a stir. Then add a tablespoon at a time to the butter mixture, beating on medium high speed until all the milk mixture is added. Beat an additional minute or two until the frosting is smooth and extra creamy.
If the butter is really soft and the frosting seems like it isn't thick enough, place the mixing bowl in the fridge for 10 minutes and beat again until smooth and extra creamy.
Frosts one of the following:
(1) 9" x 13" cake
(2) 9" round cakes
Looking for more delicious dessert recipes?
Here are a few family favorites you may also enjoy!
Next, I’ll be sharing another one of my all-time favorite frosting recipes. Then I’ll show you how to use them both to make some beautiful bridal shower cupcakes, that are perfect for Valentine’s Day too!