We have a really fun tradition every Christmas Eve where my Mom makes all of our family favorite appetizers. It’s a finger food buffet bursting with flavor and we all look forward to it every year! Today I’ll show you how to make our tasty Sweet & Spicy Chicken Bites. My Mom got this recipe from her friend, Ida about five years ago, we all loved it and this appetizer has been on the menu ever since. It’s the perfect addition to any party, like a super bowl party you may be planning.
- 1 pound chicken, boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2)
- ½ cup baking mix, (similar to Bisquick Baking mix)
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- ½ cup vegetable oil (or enough to cover the bottom of a frying pan)
- For the sweet & spicy sauce:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove any fat from the chicken and cut into 1½" - 2" pieces.
- Put the baking mix, salt and pepper in a gallon size plastic bag, close the bag and shake to mix ingredients. Add the chicken to the plastic bag and toss to coat it thoroughly.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat, being careful not to burn the oil. Place the chicken pieces in the hot oil and brown on each side.
- Heat the sauce ingredients in a microwavable bowl until the butter is melted, then stir to combine.
- Put the chicken pieces in a foil lined 9" x 13" baking pan and pour the sauce over evenly. Bake in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and tender. Turn chicken pieces over after about 15 minutes.
- Stir gently in pan to coat chicken before serving.
Lining the pan with foil makes for easier cleanup because the sauce becomes thick and sticky when baked.
Hungry for more delicious savory recipes?
Here are a few family favorites you may also enjoy!
This recipe is shared at: Clever Chicks Blog Hop – Bouquet of Talent Sunday Linky Party – Inspire Me Tuesday – Fluster’s Creative Muster Party – All Things Thursday Blog Hop – Saturday Sparks Link Party
This post may contain affiliate links to products that may assist you in making our Sweet & Spicy Chicken Bites. Please see our disclosure policy.