It’s almost Valentine’s Day! Are you excited and getting ready for it? I sure am. When I bake at Baxter’s, our church’s restaurant, I try to create gourmet cookies that reflect each holiday. So, I made some pretty Valentine Sugar Cookies last week. I’ve been making these for my family & friends for over 13 years now and everyone loves them! They’re easy to make because you don’t need to roll the dough. Just mix ’em up, scoop into balls, dip in pretty colored sugars and you’ve got a delicious Valentine Sugar Cookie for that someone special.
These buttery sugar cookies are soft & chewy and dipped in pretty colored sugars. A perfect treat for Valentine’s Day!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3¼ cups flour, unbleached or all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Ingredients for decorating:
- 1 tablespoon red sugar
- 1 tablespoon pink sugar
- 1 tablespoon purple sugar
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees F. I found this temperature to be perfect for gourmet cookies.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter, sugar and salt. Start on low speed for about 45 seconds, then speed 2 or medium for an additional 45 seconds.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract. Start on low until the eggs are blended in, then mix at speed 2 or medium for 45 seconds and then speed 4 or high for 45 seconds. The mixture should be a pale yellow color and very fluffy.
- Tip for adding the flour: Add the first cup of flour, along with the baking powder and baking soda on low or stir speed. This will insure the small ingredients are incorporated well and eliminates sifting. Continuing on low or stir speed, add the remainder of the flour just until the flour disappears.
- Use a 2 ounce cookie scooper to make the balls, then dip the rounded side of the dough into the different colors of sugars. Put the dough, with the sugared side up, on an ungreased nonstick baking sheet about 2" a part. Press the dough about half way down, unless you like your cookies more puffy.
- Bake in a preheated 360 degrees F oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the tops start to crackle. For a convection oven: Bake at 335 degrees F for 9-11 minutes.
These cookies freeze well for up to 6 months.
For perfect cookies every time, check out My Top 10 Tips for Perfect Cookies
Check out these other fun & pretty ways to decorate sugar cookies
Looking for more delicious gourmet cookie recipes?
Here are a few you may also enjoy!
Whatever you make for your Valentine this year, make sure to bake something special. It’s sure to put a smile on their face!
This recipe is shared at: Clever Chicks Blog Hop – Bouquet of Talent Sunday Linky Party – Inspire Me Tuesday – Fluster’s Creative Muster Party – All Things Thursday Blog Hop – Saturday Sparks Link Party
This post may contain affiliate links to products that my assist you in making my Valentine Sugar Cookies. Please see my disclosure policy.