One of our family’s all-time favorite meals, and is requested for special family events, is my Mom’s Hungarian Goulash. She learned how to make this amazing Hungarian dish many years ago from my Hungarian Grandmother. The other day I was wanting something similar, but made with hamburger and macaroni noodles. So, I looked online and found a couple goulash recipes that sounded really good, and came up with this super delicious recipe for Savory Hamburger Goulash!
In a large pot brown the lean ground beef over medium-high heat.
Add the chopped onions, green pepper and minced garlic. I love my enameled cast iron 6-qt dutch oven because foods cook evenly and they don’t stick.
Stir in the uncooked macaroni noodles.
This dish goes really well with buttermilk cornbread, or some homemade bread. We really appreciate you taking the time to check out our Savory Hamburger Goulash and hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- 1 pound ground beef, extra lean or ground sirloin
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1½ cups water
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Emeril's seasoning or Lowry's seasoning salt, or to taste (I used Emeril's seasoning)
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 cup uncooked macaroni noodles, whole wheat or regular
- In a large pot brown the lean ground beef over medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped onions, green pepper and minced garlic. Continue to cook over medium-high heat until the onions are translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except for the uncooked macaroni noodles, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the uncooked macaroni. Cover and simmer for approximately 25 additional minutes, or until the noodles are tender, stirring occasionally again. Remove the bay leaves and serve.
Recipe adapted from All Recipes
Hungry for more delicious savory recipes?
Here are a few you might also enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links, which will add no extra cost to you. Thank you if you make a purchase – it will help support our blog! Please see our disclosure policy.