One of our family’s all-time favorite meals, and is requested for special family events, is my Mom’s Hungarian Goulash. She learned how to make this amazing Hungarian dish many years ago from my Grandmother, who was Hungarian. The other day I was wanting something similar but with hamburger and macaroni noodles, so I looked online and found a couple of goulash recipes that sounded really good and came up with this super delicious recipe I’m sharing today.
In a large pot brown the lean ground beef over medium-high heat.
Add the chopped onions, green pepper and minced garlic. I love my enameled cast iron 6-qt dutch oven because foods cook evenly and they don’t stick.
Stir in the uncooked macaroni noodles.
- 1 pound ground beef, extra lean or ground sirloin
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1½ cups water
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Emeril's seasoning or Lowry's seasoning salt, or to taste (I used Emeril's seasoning)
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 cup uncooked macaroni noodles, whole wheat or regular
- In a large pot brown the lean ground beef over medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped onions, green pepper and minced garlic. Continue to cook over medium-high heat until the onions are translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except for the uncooked macaroni noodles, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the uncooked macaroni. Cover and simmer for approximately 25 additional minutes, or until the noodles are tender, stirring occasionally again. Remove the bay leaves and serve.
Recipe adapted from All Recipes
Hungry for more delicious savory recipes?
Here are a few family favorites you may also enjoy!
This recipe is shared at: I Heart Nap Time – Clever Chicks Blog Hop – Bouquet of Talent Sunday Linky Party – Inspire Me Tuesday – Fluster’s Creative Muster Party – All Things Thursday Blog Hop – Saturday Sparks Link Party
This post contains affiliate links to product that will help you create this Savory Hamburger Goulash. Please see my disclosure policy.