Hello and welcome to Balance Your Life, where we share interesting and helpful information on how to balance your life with your Spirit, Mind, Body and Heart. I’m so glad you’re here and happy to have received so many nice comments about this series. Today I’m sharing on Happy Thoughts because they are so important to our mental and physical health. Having happy thoughts will help you get rid of the negative thoughts that can weigh you down and may even cause depression. The way we think and the thoughts we entertain are so very important to our overall happiness and health.
People may look at John and I and think, “Wow, they retired young, moved to Florida and they bought a new beautiful home. Their kids love God and are in ministry, so they must have the perfect life.” Well, we have a great life but we also have a missing piece to our picture. Our kids live in different states than we do, so we miss them all the time and we miss them A LOT!! Andy lives in Michigan, where we lived before moving here to Florida. He does an excellent job as a store manager at Starbucks. We love to FaceTime with him to catch up with what’s happening in his life!
Chelsea and Kenny moved to Washington state because Kenny got a great job as a music pastor a little over 2 years ago. An added bonus for Kenny and Chelsea is that Kenny’s family lives in Florida, which means they can visit both families with just one flight. But, because of the distance and us moving recently we haven’t seen our little grand-daughter, Laila in person since the end of May. I know, it’s sad. But, they do FaceTime us quite a bit. What a blessing to be able to talk with them, see her little face and watch her grow. Wow, the marvels of modern technology.
So, not being around our kids means we struggle sometimes with missing them and have to deal with negative thoughts and moments of sadness.
Information about Norman Vincent Peale.
- Dr. Norman Vincent Peale was a minister, author and a progenitor of “positive thinking”. Wikipedia
- He was born on May 31, 1898, in Bowersville, OH.
- He died on December 24, 1993, in Pawling, NY
- It’s interesting that he lived to be 95 years old.
Source: Google Obviously “Happy Thoughts” was good for Mr. Peale both physically and mentally and he lived a very long life.
Bible passage: Psalm 33:21 ~ No wonder we are happy in the Lord! For we are trusting him. We trust his holy name.
As this bible passage says, trusting God is one of the keys to being happy. He also loves and cares deeply for each of us.
It looks like our destiny starts with our thoughts! So let’s do our best to have happy thoughts each day.
Bible passage: Isaiah 26:3 ~ He will keep in perfect peace all those who trust in him, whose thoughts turn often to the Lord!
Bible passage: Philippians 4:8 ~ …Fix your thoughts on what is true and good and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely, and dwell on the fine, good things in others. Think about all you can praise God for and be glad about.
Bible passage: Romans 12:2 ~ Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but be a new and different person with a fresh newness in all you do and think. Then you will learn from your own experience how his ways will really satisfy you.
Some suggestions for creating happy thoughts:
- Read the bible and ask God to help you to understand it. Study bible passages on peace and overcoming struggles.
- Pray and ask God to help you with your thoughts, attitudes and how to deal with disappointments or difficult situations.
- Spend time with loved ones. If you don’t have family near by spend time with a friend as often as you can.
- Make time and plan something fun every day. Even if it’s something simple like going for a walk with someone you enjoy being with.
- Learn to relax and not to take things too seriously.
- Listen to calming or uplifting music.
- Watch a funny movie or video, because laughter can lift your spirits and it is so good for you!
- Keep busy. I know this sounds a little simple but when you’re busy your mind doesn’t have time to dwell on your problems.
- Talk with someone about your problems and ask them to pray with you.
- Take action to correct your problems. IE: Get on a budget if you have financial problems.
- Give your cares to God. 1 Peter 5:7 (TLB) “Let him have all your worries and cares, for he is always thinking about you and watching everything that concerns you.” Wow, to think that God is always thinking about us and watching everything that concerns us, what a wonderful thought!
These are just a few suggestions that help me create happy thoughts. I would love for you to share in the comments below your favorite suggestion on how you create happy thoughts and believe my readers would love to hear them too.
I really hope today’s post has brought you some advice on how to have happy thoughts and you practice them when you find yourself struggling. Spending time with God, through reading the bible and prayer, are also ways to grow your faith and become a stronger Christian.
John & I will continue to trust God and pray that our kids and grandchildren will live nearby us one day and hopefully in the near future. But, even if they don’t, we will choose to be happy and live our lives for God’s glory, fully trusting that he has our best interest at heart.
Here’s a recap of our team:
I will be Team Spirit and will share an inspirational and encouraging message each Monday. Today’s inspirational post Patience and Flexibility.
Our Team Heart is Shari @ Pure Grace Farms. She will be sharing healthy recipes with us, so go take a peek in her kitchen!
We hope you’re enjoying this series as much as us four bloggers are! Please make sure to stop by the other blogs to see all the different parts. We’d love to hear from you, so feel free to leave a comment, idea or a suggestion on any or all of our blogs.
I love and appreciate you and believe God wants the very best for you and your family. I hope you have a wonderful day my friend.