Today I’m sharing some easy Tips for Freezing and Safely Handling Ground Beef. Freezing ground beef the way I’m showing you today is really helpful because the beef will stack nicely in the freezer and will thaw much quicker than when it’s in a big lump, like most packages of ground beef.
We like to purchase 90/10 lean ground beef in bulk. Now, we’re not talking huge packages of 10 pounds but around 4 – 5 pounds. I think you’ll agree, that there’s nothing more frustrating than trying to thaw a big lump of ground beef for dinner – it can take forever!
Today’s tips will also cover safely handling ground beef and nutrition facts for a 3 ounce serving of 90/10 lean ground beef.
Get your supplies together and label the Ziploc bags.
Tips for Freezing Ground Beef
Items you’ll need:
- Ground beef – we use 90/10 lean ground beef in 4 – 5 lb packages
- Kitchen Scale – we love our Weighmax scale, it’s accurate and easy to use
- Quart size Ziploc freezer bags
- Permanent Marker
- Wax or parchment paper
- Get your supplies together and label the Ziploc bags.
- Divide your package of lean ground beef into equal parts. Put a piece of wax or parchment paper on the scale and weigh each piece of ground beef separately.
- Place the weighed pieces of beef on a clean plate until you’re ready to put them in the ziploc bags.
Before putting the meat into the bags, press the sides of each piece so they’re oblong. This will help you easily put them in the bags. Press each piece of meat down until they’re very flat. Fold the top over to remove as much air as possible. Then, seal the zipper tightly.
- Stack and place the one (1) pound packages on a level surface in the freezer until frozen.
- The package shown in this post contains just a little over 4 pounds. So, each piece of meat weighs approximately 1 lb.
- Make sure to clean the prep area and scale thoroughly before and after handling the meat.
- The bags stack so nicely this way and once they’re frozen you can move them around easily. Plus, your ground beef will thaw much faster when it’s flat like this.
Helpful Links for Safely Handling Ground Beef
- Ground Beef and Food Safety by The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- Is It Safe To Freeze Thawed Ground Beef by Live Strong
- How Long Can You Keep Thawed Ground Beef by Still Tasty
- Ground Beef Safety Tips by About Food
Nutrition Facts for 3 ounces of 90/10 lean ground beef
- Nutrition Facts and Analysis for a cooked hamburger by Self Nutrition Data
Other helpful baking & cooking tips you might also enjoy!
As you can see from the nutrition facts 90/10 lean ground beef is low in calories and high in protein, so it’s a good choice over the higher fat ground beefs.
Whether you thaw your ground beef in the refrigerator or defrost it in the microwave, freezing it flattened and in smaller one (1) pound packages will allow for much faster thawing. I hope you find our tips helpful and give them a try.