Happy 4th of July to everyone in the USA! Today we have some yummy buttery, nutty, chocolaty Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars that are perfect for your holiday party! It’s also a smaller recipe you can bake in a toaster oven, so you won’t heat up your kitchen. They taste like the best walnut chocolate chip cookies but in delectable dessert bars, and you can be enjoying them in about 30 minutes!
Living in Florida it’s always warm, or quite hot, throughout the year. Now I’m not complaining because we love living here! But, because of the heat we’re always looking for great no bake, slow cooker, and other delicious recipes to make in our toaster oven, that won’t heat up our kitchen.
Well, these tasty bars were the answer to an easy, quick and delicious dessert the other night that kept our kitchen nice and cool – mission accomplished!
Make the dough and evenly spread it in a 9″ square pan. Sprinkle with the reserved chopped walnuts and chocolate chips, press them into the dough and bake in a preheated 350 degree F toaster oven until light golden brown.
Don’t over bake, these Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are best when they’re a little soft and gooey.
Cool slightly, cut into 2″ bars and enjoy with a fresh cup of coffee or cold glass of milk. Every bite of these amazing Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars is full of buttery, nutty and chocolaty goodness!
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup oats
- 1½ cups flour, unbleached or all-purpose
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, reserve 2 tablespoons for top
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips, reserve 2 tablespoons for top
- Preheat toaster oven or regular oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl cream the butter, brown sugar and salt. Mix on low speed for about a minute, then medium speed for an additional minute.
- Add the egg & vanilla extract. Mix on low speed until the egg & vanilla are blended in, then on medium speed for an additional minute. The mixture should be pale yellow in color and a little fluffy.
- Add the oats, the first ½ cup flour, along with the baking powder and baking soda, and mix on low speed until blended. Continue on low speed, add the remaining flour and blend until it disappears.
- Continue on low speed, add ½ cup walnuts and ½ cup chocolate chips.
- Evenly spread the dough in a 9" square pan. Sprinkle the reserved chopped walnuts and chocolate chips and press gently into the dough.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F toaster oven for 20-22 minutes, or until the top is light golden brown. Don't over bake, these bars are best when they're a little soft and gooey.
- Cool slightly before cutting into bars - enjoy!
Store cooled cookie bars in an airtight container.
Hungry for more delicious dessert bars?
Here are a few you may also enjoy!