Happy National Cookie Day! To help you celebrate this delicious day we’re sharing our Soft & Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. They have delicious oats and lots of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, for a healthier cookie you’ll absolutely love! Our kids came to visit us recently and our granddaughter, Laila loves to help me in the kitchen. They also LOVE my homemade cookies. So, we had fun making a batch of these Soft & Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies, which turned out awesome!
If you’re a MSM reader then you know that we love soft & chewy cookies. But, if you prefer your oatmeal cookies a little crispier, just see the recipe notes below.
Make up the cookie dough. Oh, and by the way, if you’re a cookie dough lover – oatmeal cookie dough is the absolute BEST!
Scoop the dough into nice balls, bake ’em up and cool slightly.
I recommend using small, medium and large scoopers, to quickly and easily scoop your cookie dough. Using a scooper makes the cookies even in size, so they bake up perfect every time.
Here’s a nice selection of scoopers in different sizes, which are perfect for all your cookie needs. And, the price on this trio of scoopers is great!!!
Hot out of the oven with a big glass of milk, or a perfect cup of French pressed coffee, these cookies are soft, chewy, chocolaty heaven! And, they’re a healthier cookie, so enjoy!
Our son-in-law, Kenny snapped this picture and sent it to his sister as a little tease. She said “Hey, make sure you save me one!” And, of course he did.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cup flour, unbleached or all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 (12 oz) package mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees F. This is the temperature I prefer for gourmet cookies.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter, sugars and salt. Mix on low speed for a minute, then on medium for an additional minute.
- Add the eggs & vanilla extract. Mix on low speed until the eggs are blended in, then on medium for a minute and then on high for an additional minute. The mixture should be pale yellow and very fluffy.
- Add the flour, along with the baking powder and baking soda and mix on low speed until the flour disappears. Then add the oats and mix on low again, just until blended.
- Add the mini chocolate chips and mix on low just until blended.
- Use a 2 ounce (medium-sized) cookie scooper and place the dough on ungreased nonstick baking sheets about 2" a part. Press the dough down slightly.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the tops start to crackle and the tops are light golden.
Serve warm or cool completely before storing in an airtight container. These cookies also freeze well for up to 6 months.
For perfect cookies every time, check out My Top 10 Tips for Perfect Cookies.
Have you seen our 1st Cookbook Savory ~ Sweet ~ Repeat? It’s a delicious eCookbook full of tried & true family favorite recipes: 25 savory & 25 sweet. All of them are from this blog and some our family has enjoyed for 50 & even 60 years! With a few newer family favorites as well. It downloads beautifully and is great for easy gift-giving too.
Looking for more delicious cookie recipes?
Here are a few family favorites you may also enjoy!